What To Pack In A Tornado Bag
A tornado bag is an essential item for anyone living in an area prone to tornadoes. It should be filled with items that will help you stay safe and comfortable in the event of a tornado warning or watch.
Here is a list of items to pack in a tornado bag:
- First aid kit: This should include bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, and other essential first aid supplies.
- Water: Pack at least one gallon of water per person in your tornado bag.
- Food: Pack non-perishable food items that can be eaten without cooking, such as granola bars, fruit cups, and crackers.
- Flashlight: Pack a flashlight with extra batteries.
- Radio: Pack a battery-powered radio to stay informed about the latest weather conditions.
- Cell phone: Keep your cell phone charged and ready to use.
- Whistle: Pack a whistle to signal for help if you are trapped.
- Dust mask: Pack a dust mask to protect your lungs from dust and debris.
- Sturdy shoes: Pack sturdy shoes that will protect your feet from debris.
- Change of clothes: Pack a change of clothes in case your clothes get wet or dirty.
- Important documents: Pack important documents such as your driver’s license, birth certificate, and insurance information.
- Cash: Pack some cash in case ATMs are not working.
- Other items: You may also want to pack other items in your tornado bag, such as a map of your area, a list of important phone numbers, and a copy of your evacuation plan.
How To Pack A Tornado Bag
When packing your tornado bag, be sure to pack items that are lightweight and easy to carry. You should also pack items that you will need immediately in the event of a tornado.
- Place the heaviest items at the bottom of the bag.
- Pack items in layers, with the most important items at the top.
- Secure the bag tightly so that it does not open accidentally.
- Keep the bag in a convenient place where you can easily access it in the event of a tornado warning or watch.
When To Use A Tornado Bag
You should use your tornado bag whenever a tornado warning or watch is issued for your area. You should also use your tornado bag if you see signs of a tornado, such as a funnel cloud or debris rotating in the air.
If you are in a tornado warning or watch, you should:
- Stay indoors and go to the lowest level of your home, such as a basement or interior room.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Cover your head and neck with a blanket or pillow.
- Be prepared to evacuate if necessary.
If you are caught outside in a tornado, you should:
- Find a sturdy shelter, such as a building or a ditch.
- Lie down flat and cover your head with your hands.
- Stay away from power lines and other dangerous objects.
After A Tornado
After a tornado, you should check your tornado bag to make sure that all of the items are still there. You should also replace any items that were used or damaged.
You should also inspect your home for damage. If your home is damaged, you should contact your insurance company and the local authorities.